The annual Independent Tertiary Education New Zealand (ITENZ) awards, run by The Quality Commission, recognise, encourage and celebrate excellence in independent tertiary organisations. The awards provide opportunities for organisations to showcase what they do best, to share good practice, and for students and staff members to be rewarded for achieving excellence.
- Domestic Student of the Year (sponsored by SEBDATA)
- International Student of the Year (sponsored by Niesh)
- Tutor of the Year (sponsored by OfficeMax)
- Support Person of the Year (sponsored by AdaptIT)
- Leadership (sponsored by Public Trust)
- Provider of the Year (sponsored by Scarlatti)
- Innovative Use of Technology (sponsored by Booking Rooster)
- Margaret Yates Scholarship (sponsored by ITENZ)
The awards are presented at the annual ITENZ Conference Awards dinner. In 2019, the ITENZ Conference is to be held at The Holiday Inn in Auckland and the awards dinner is the evening of Tuesday 10th September.
Eligibility for nominations of the ITENZ Awards
All financial member organisations of ITENZ are welcome to nominate teaching staff, support staff, students and the organisation itself for awards with meeting the following conditions:
- Nominations must be submitted, and endorsed, by the nominee’s Principal, CEO or equivalent.
- In the case where the nomination is for the Principal, CEO or equivalent, the nomination must be endorsed by the Board of Directors or equivalent.
- The nomination must clearly state the Award Category applied for. Staff nominees must have been employed for a minimum period of three years in a tertiary organisation that is currently a member of ITENZ.
- Part-time staff may be nominated when their aggregated time in a tertiary organisation totals a minimum of three years and are currently an ITENZ member.
- The nominee’s document/portfolios may be developed either by the nominee or by others on their behalf. Where others have developed the portfolio this must be declared as ‘Authored by (include name)’.
- Any nominations that do not meet these conditions will not be considered by the judging panel.
- ITENZ member organisations may make any number of nominations.
- The CEO/Director or equivalent of the organisation must complete the Nomination Form (download) accompanying each nomination.
- The Employment History Form (download) must be completed by the nominee to confirm a minimum of three years employment history in the tertiary sector and that they are currently an ITENZ member.
- The Student History Form (download) must be completed to clearly show the programme of study during the period 1 January 2018 to the present.
- The portfolio must show the ways the nominee meets the relevant criteria.
- It should include evidence of student feedback; colleague or peer feedback and; where applicable, stakeholder feedback.
- Student evaluations and feedback must be a sample over the period covered by the application.
- It may include, within the 3,000 word limit, up to three formal references (e.g. from students, peers, employers, stakeholders).
- The portfolio must not exceed 3,000 words including references and feedback from students, peers, stakeholders and or industry.
- Tables, charts or illustrations will not be counted towards the word limit unless they are predominately text.
The deadline for the receipt of nominations is 5.00pm, Friday 28th June 2019. Late nominations will not be accepted.
- A copy of the nominations and portfolios will be sent to the panel members.
- Each will be assessed against the criteria as indicated by the category applied for.
- Panel members must declare any conflicts of interest, and where this exists, will be excluded from evaluating these nominations.
- Panel members will be automatically excluded from evaluating any nominations from their own organisation. Such decisions will be recorded.
- The panel reserves the right not to make an award in those instances where the nominations do not meet the required criteria for each category.
- The panel’s decisions will be final and no communication will be entered into.